Tippecanoe County Historical Association
Purdue Universoty Libraries
menu off  add document to favorites : add page to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
 Search this object:
  
 224 hit(s) :: previous hit : next hit
  View:    
  previous page : next page
Purdue e-Archives
TCHA ID Number2-29(7)
Purdue ID NumberGWb2f29i7
TitleProphet's Town, 1869, and Battle Ground of Tippecanoe
CreatorWinter, George, 1810-1876
Description"Prophet's Town-1869. and Battle Ground-of Tippecanoe" Ams, 7 p. (written on back of preprinted insurance forms)
Description ContinuedThe Shaw farm on the Wabash is now connected to Battle Ground by a good road that runs by the oaks where Col. Daviess fell. From Hiram Shaw's house old roads lead to the site of Prophet's Town. The "swampy prairie" between the town and battleground, impassiblf in 1840, is now traversed by a gravel road. A drainage ditch was built around 1840, and an Indian skeleton unearthed in the process. In 1840, John Shaw lived in the cabin overlooking the Wabash bluffs and the forest and prairie beyond. He was the first white settler in the area, predating the organization of Tippecanoe County. A cherry tree grew on the old hearth site of Tecumseh's wigwam, where he met with Brouillette (the father of the Indian warrior), Captain Walter Wilson, Joseph Barron, and other ambassadors of Harrison. Indians of many tribes came to consult with Tecumseh as well. He retained his prestige after death, as he died in battle, but the Prophet died discredited, in obscurity. This disrepute was undeserved, as he was a man of ability. The two brothers had permission from the Potawatamis to live at Prophet's Town, although the Potawatamis themselves were immigrants from the northern lake regions, where the game was not as abundant and the climate harsher. In 1840, the view from the battlefield across the swampy prairie was as undeveloped as it had been in 1811. Even Shaw's cabin in the townsite, erected in 1826, was not visible from that point. The little town of Harrisonville stood then a little north of the battleground, with Watson's tavern and post office. Watson assisted G.W. in 1840 in measuring the elevations of the battle-field. Watson moved a few years later and has since died. The view across the swampy prairie of 1840 now reveals instead rich farmlands, and Hiram Shaw's house stands amidst them. This sight is most inspiring. As the sun sets over the scene, G.W. waxes purple in his prose.
SubjectsProphetstown (Ind.)
Shaw, John
Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief, 1768-1813
Tippecanoe Battlefield (Battle Ground, Ind.)
Tippecanoe, Battle of (Ind. : 1811)
Potawatomi Indians
RepositoryTippecanoe County Historical Association
RightsImages in the George Winter Collection should not be used without written permission from the Tippecanoe County Historical Association. To obtain reproduction rights and prices, contact the Tippecanoe County Historical Association, http://www.tcha.mus.in.us
Date of Original1869
Extent of Original7 p. ; 34 cm.
Languageeng
CollectionGeorge Winter Collection
Date Digitized8/07/2006
Typetext
FormatJP2
Capture DeviceEpson Expression 10000XL Photo Scanner
Capture DetailsSilverfast 6.4.1 r8c by Lazersoft
Resolution300 ppi
Color Depth24 bit
Color ManagementMonaco EZcolor using an IT8 target
URI ark:/34231/c6j9649h